All You Need to Know about What Causes Wrinkles
We may not know exactly what causes wrinkles but a day will come in every woman’s or a man’s!) life where wrinkles will begin to appear as fine lines, crows feet, deep set wrinkles and sagging skin around our eyes, between our eyebrows, cheeks and forehead. Wherever we may find wrinkles appearing on our faces, we can take the necessary steps to reduce them. Yes, it is possible to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles through expert care and treatment.
One of the first steps to reducing these signs of ageing is to learn what causes wrinkles in the first place. There is a list of reasons why wrinkles begin to appear. Not every reason will apply to you but you may find yourself agreeing to at least a few of them. Once you have read on about what causes wrinkles, the next step is to find a personalised skin care regime catered to battling fine lines, tightening skin and plumping the appearance of sagging skin.
What Causes Wrinkles
Wrinkles are caused by ultraviolet radiation which breaks down the skin’s connective tissue (collagen and elastin) and below are other reasons:
• Age: Naturally, with age, our skin produces less collagen, elastin and natural oils that help keep skin luminous and firm.
• Repeated facial expressions. Never stop smiling! But repeated facial expressions can cause lines to set-in when we become older and the skin can no longer bounce back.
• Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light: As mentioned, UV light is a huge factor to what causes wrinkles so it is very important to use SPF while in the sun, especially those who have fair skin or who are exposed to sunlight often.
• Smoking: Smoking causes hard wrinkles and speeds the ageing process.
• Genetics: Fairer-skinned women have less protection to UV light that causes wrinkles.
While you cannot prevent genetics, there are quite a few beauty hacks you can use to help prevent wrinkles. These are things you could be doing every day without even knowing it!
Not taking off Makeup. Wash your face every night to strip away the toxins and dirt from the day. Not taking off makeup can trap in oil and dirt which will break down collagen and elastin.
Pulling at your face while applying makeup. It may seem harmless to tug at your eyes to get a perfect winged eyeliner, but pulling at your skin is practically asking for wrinkles.
Not eating right. A healthy diet with few alcoholic drinks will keep your skin full of vitamins and minerals essential for healthy, youthful looking skin.
So now that you are more aware of what causes wrinkles, the next step is getting a personalised skin care regime which will all help your skin to produce more collagen which will plump up the skin where it needs it most!
Wrinkles are natural and an inevitable part of the ageing process, but luckily it is possible to prevent them and purchase great products on the market to help treat them. Here is a recap:
• Do not smoke
• Use sunscreen with high SPF every time you are exposed to sunlight
• Take off makeup every night
• Do not stretch or pull at skin, especially around the eye area
• Use an Anti-Ageing skin care regime
For more details and to get a personalised skin care regime , do visit us at Dr. Gauri's Skin & Hair clinic.